I wrote a personal blog here about Ursula K. Le Guin on how her life inspired me and how her death made me sad but also energized.
Today I found some of her writing tips for novelists at Novel Now. To summarize:
- Study every aspect of your craft, including punctuation
- Vary the length of your sentences to create interest and rhythm
- Be careful of tiring repetition
- Take advice to ditch all adverbs lightly
- Use writing exercises to master point of view
- Don’t make plot your focus if it’s not crucial to your story
- Join a writing group
- Don’t buy into ‘show, don’t tell’ too absolutely
Be sure to read the whole article for her invaluable insight!
The featured image is in the Creative Commons, license CC BY-SA 3.0