This site is a place for eco-writers and allows contributors to post tips, resources, and writing samples, which others can comment on or just read. As we start out, and for probably a few months, please do not expect too many reviews or comments. This site is experimental.
How to Become a Contributor
- On the lower left side of the home screen under the “Meta” section, click Register and fill out your preferred Username and Email.
- If you do not get an email immediately, check your spam folder and unblock email from workshop.dragonfly.eco and/or from wordpress.com. Once you get your information, follow the link in the email to log in. Note that if you do not follow this link, you won’t get a chance to set your password. When you follow the link, it will have a strong password already generated. You can keep it or type in your own password. It’s smart to save your password somewhere secure. If you forget it at any time, you can say you forgot your password and set a new one.
- After you get set up initially, you are a subscriber and can log in any time (see the lower left side of the website under “Meta”). Now you can comment. If you want to become a contributor at this point and I haven’t already talked with you, please shoot me an email and I will promote you to be a contributor (see point 4 below).
- If you do not get another email letting you know that you have been upgraded to a contributor, just log back in and check. Contributors will see a dashboard, whereas subscribers will only be able to comment. See the “How to Add a New Post” section below for screenshots of the dashboard.
- The owner of the workshop will see all new subscribers and may email you just making sure you’re a real person! And then she will manually approve you to be a Contributor. This may take a few minutes or several hours, depending on time of day.
- After you become a contributor, you may then post samples of your writing. This is done through a WordPress interface. If you need help, please contact Mary. See detailed directions below.
- What can you submit? Anything relevant to the topics found at Dragonfly.eco, which fall into environmental and nature categories of literature. Please ensure that your excerpt submissions are well-written to the best of your knowledge and not preachy. Concentrate on building a creative story. All contributions will be manually reviewed before approval. See the guidelines for more information.
- Note that it’s best to keep these manuscripts 10,000 words or less. Excerpts are preferred. For novels, please do not post more than a chapter or two. We will provide a copyright notice, but you are responsible for protecting your own work.
- Poetry and prose
- Short story excerpts
- Novel chapter excerpts
- Essays and articles
- Thoughts, sentences, paragraphs
- Graphic novel illustrations
- You do not have to submit your writings for critique in order to participate. Well-written tips and reviews of writing styles in environmental literature are also accepted.
How to Add a New Post
1. Log in as a contributor after you have registered and been approved. You will see something similar to the screen below:
2. Click the Dashboard beneath the “Writer’s Workshop” link as shown above. In the Dashboard, click the Posts link and then click Add New, as shown below.
Alternatively, you may check the +New button at the top of the screen, as shown below. Then click Post.
3. Once you add a post, you will see a screen similar to the one below but without all the text in the post box. The text below has been added as a sample post and shows you the rest of the instructions for submitting a post. Click the picture below to make it bigger for reading purposes. If you don’t have an image to add, please contact the owner, who has lots of photos of outdoor places.
4. After submitting for review, please leave the page and wait until the owner has time to review your work and submit it for comments. If you are still on the page, it looks like you are still editing it; however, if you have submitted it for review and a day has passed, and you haven’t let the screen, the administrator may go ahead and publish the piece. If you need to edit it still, feel free to do so, but when you submit it again, it will be pending review again. Comments will also be moderated.