Want to add an environmental writing contest or event? Email us or comment, and we will add if relevant.
Events and Courses
- 100,000 Poets for Change. Do you want to join other poets, musicians, and artists around the world in a demonstration/celebration to promote peace, sustainability and justice..: and to call for serious social, environmental and political change? Sept. 29th, 2018 is the next Global Event Day!
- Alternatives Journal (Canada)
- Art & Activism of the Anthropocene Series. April 9/19 and May 9 | Open to the public | Members’ Room | free of charge | advance registration required.
- ASLE 2019 Biennial Conference. UC Davis, June 25-29, 2019.
- Banff Writing Events. See calendar for mountain and wilderness writing.’
- Barbara Kingsolver events.
- Burke Museum Environmental Writing
- Eco-Lit’s list of Environmental Humanities Programs.
- Environmental Institute of Australia and New Zealand. Events calendar.
- Iceland’s Writer’s Retreat. Several of my eco-writer colleagues, including Claudia Casper and Isaac Yuen, have attended in the past.
- Orion Writing Workshops. Sunday, June 10 – Friday, June 15, 2018. The workshop will be held at the Omega Institute in Rhinebeck, New York.
- Society of Environmental Journalists (SEJ): Awards and contests
- University of Essex, MA Wild Writing: Literature, Landscape and the Environment (course). October 2018.
Contests and Submission Call-outs
- Artists and Climate Change. Accepting submissions. Email for more information.
- ASU’s “Everything Change” contest. This is not the first time Arizona State University has called for submissions on climate change, so watch site for future contests.
- Dark Mountain Project’s 14th issue. Deadline: May 18.
- Eco-fiction Challenge. Annual contests ending on Earth Day. Contact Alison at Facebook for details. A website is on its way. A world-wide event, just really getting started.
- Environmental Education Resources. A vast list of resources for writer contests and submissions. Mostly for children and teens.
- Lightbringer Project. Writers are encouraged to explore scientific, social, technological, environmental, and philosophical themes in their writing and always, at the core, to master the art of great storytelling.
- Post Carbon World: The deadline for submission is 22.00 BST on Thursday June 7, 2018: 250-word abstracts or outlines, be submitted via postcarbon.world/proposal-form/.
- PRE – Pize of the Ecology Novel (April 2018): Literary Ecofiction
- Society of Environmental Journalists (SEJ): Events Calendar
- Siskiyou Prize. Watch site for new contests. Run by Ashland Creek Press.
- Skipping Stones. A multi-cultural list of writing contests.
- Teen Ink. Entries are accepted throughout the year.
- The Hopper’s Environmental Poetry Contest. Deadline July 1, 2018.